Living Faith Lutheran Church
Sunday, March 24, 2019
God's Work. Our Hands.
Our History
60+ Years of Love, Faith & Service
Our church's story begins in the fall of 1951.  Mrs. Betty Blevins believed Rockville needed a Lutheran church of its own — and she brought her proposal to Pastor Otto Schuetze of Christ Lutheran Church in Bethesda.  Shortly thereafter, Sunday School classes began meeting at Rockville’s Lone Oak Elementary School; our history had begun.
The American Lutheran Church purchased 10 vacant lots — our current two-acre property — in July 1952; the Rev. Howard A. Wilson was installed as founding pastor that September; and the congregation chose “Crusader Lutheran Church” as its name in December 1952.
The initial church building (with chapel) was dedicated in October 1953, followed by a parish building in December 1958 and the current sanctuary in December 1969.

In the following decades, our church's ministries and outreach efforts greatly expanded, as did our close working relationships with other groups serving the community -  from Meals and Wheels and Manna Food Center to Alcoholics Anonymous and Community Ministries of Rockville.
The current chapter of our church's history began in December 2005, when the Rev. Sandra Cox Shaw was installed as our sixth pastor. She has brought passion, fresh ideas and a renewed sense of mission to our church.  To learn more about Pastor Sandra, click here.
In November 2010, our congregation voted to select a church name that better represents our mission, ministries and commitment to the community. Out of 66 initial suggestions and 7 finalists, "Living Faith Lutheran" was selected by our council and approved by church members in January 2011.

For 58 years, our church has been an integral part of our community, providing a warm welcome to friends and neighbors; help to people in need; and support & fellowship for six generations of pilgrims.
We hope you’ll join our journey — and help write the next, exciting page of Living Faith's history!